7. Burgh Chambers and War Memorial

7. Burgh Chambers and War Memorial

Architectural Trail

Burgh Chambers B&w

The original Burgh Chambers were built in 1867. Extensive additions and alterations were made by the leading Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, in the 1920s, including the tower incorporating the War Memorial, the carved figure of peace, and the statue of a Border Reiver in front. The tower clock includes a carillon of bells which play “Braw, Braw Lads” at 8pm every evening.

This building is Category B listed.

Stop 7 of 13

Key Information

Date built:

1867 with Tower, the War Memorial added in 1924-1927

Look up at:

The weathervane, Fox and Soor Plums, and carved animals and lettering over the doorways.

Building open to the public:

The building is not open to the public, but can be visited from the outside.

More Information

Make sure to walk around the entire building to see all the elements. The QR code is located on the right side of the building (Albert Place), underneath the small balcony.

What 3 Words Locator text

This location is accessible to anyone with mobility issues.
Illustration of the Galashiels town crest at the Burgh Chambers, a stone carving featuring two foxes under a plum tree and the inscription "Soor Plooms."
Illustration by Lara Gueldner

Next Location

3g Arena B&w

3G Arena

The Stadium, locally referred to as the 3G Arena, was...

5a Bank St, Galashiels, TD1 1EN

With thanks to

Website managed by

© 2022 Galashiels Heartland of the Borders | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Site Credits

Website design by McGowan Marketing