This building is the oldest on this trail – and probably one of the oldest buildings in town! Old Gala House dates back to the 16th century and retains its original “bastle” house in the heart of the building, which was subsequently extended many times over the next centuries.
The house was originally built by the local laird whose descendants erected New Gala House and laid out the Gala Policies in 1872. New Gala House was demolished in 1985 but the Policies remain to this day.
Old Gala House contains a painted ceiling dating to around 1635 together with a Victorian decorative plaster ceiling in the drawing-room and staircase.
This building is Category A listed.