Borders Family History Society
The British Honduran Forestry Unit in Duns: Police Raids and Moral Panic in Wartime Scotland by Dr David Smale
During the Second World War, Britain required vast quantities of wood. The U-Boat threat and the advance of Japanese forces in the Far East meant that homegrown timber had to be harvested. Forestry units from around the Empire came to Britain including a contingent from British Honduras arriving in Duns. The talk will examine why the Hondurans were treated differently from other foreign workers in Scotland.
- Making Galashiels Better: Creating a Place Plan for Galashiels
- It’s a gift from Galashiels this Christmas, with our biggest Mi-Rewards prize ever!
- Energise Galashiels Trust shortlisted for more awards
- What to love about Galashiels
- Discover the Charms of Galashiels: A Hidden Gem in the Heart of Scotland