Borders Family History Society
We warmly invite you to attend talks whether you are a member or not. Doors open at 2pm. The meeting begins at 2.30pm.
There is no admission charge but donations are welcome.
We’ll have a range of family history publications available to buy.
Light refreshments (donation expected) available after the talks.
Society Meeting Evacuation to the Border Counties 1939-1945: Myth and Reality by Kenny McLean
Based on extensive research in Scottish and Borders archives, this talk reveals how planning for the evacuation of children, mothers, pregnant women and the blind proceeded before the Second World War; how it worked in reality across the Borders in September 1939 and subsequent years; practical aspects of the scheme; the largely forgotten evacuation of schools, hospitals and those rendered homeless; camp and special institutions; plus its impact on communities here, including local children sent overseas. It also reveals the key leadership roles that Borderers played at Scottish and British levels.
- It’s a gift from Galashiels this Christmas, with our biggest Mi-Rewards prize ever!
- Energise Galashiels Trust shortlisted for more awards
- What to love about Galashiels
- Discover the Charms of Galashiels: A Hidden Gem in the Heart of Scotland
- College graduates will boost Scotland’s economy by £52 billion over their working lives