The new Galashiels Transport Interchange was commissioned by the Scottish Borders Council to provide facilities for bus and rail passengers when the Borders Railway reopened. The building provides staff accommodation as well as office space at the upper levels.
The church of Our Lady and St Andrew, which was completed in 1858 and extended in 1870, was founded by Robert Hope-Scott, a descendent of Sir Walter Scott. He played a large role in giving the local Catholic community a place to worship and bought land to build a chapel and school. When the chapel […]
Market Square, in the heart of the Galashiels town centre, has had many reincarnations and remodellings. The statue of “Man with Sheep” was presented by the then Laird of Gala, Christopher Scott, in 1971. More recently and as part of a reconstruction of the square in 2014, lines of the song ‘Kayleigh’ by the rock […]
The Galashiels Manufacturers’ Corporation, established in 1777, decided to construct a “mill lade”, a system diverting water from the Gala Water (pictured) through a channel along which the textile mills would be built. This provided a constant source of energy to drive the water wheels which in turn provided the power to operate the mill […]
Cornmill Square is an important feature of the early 20th century, grouping together various monuments in the town centre, including the Burgh Chambers and War Memorial, the Robert Burns Statue and Sir Walter Scott Memorial. The Square was designed by Robert Lorimer, a successful Scottish architect after the original Corn Mill was removed in 1912. […]
Bank Street’s original name was Scott’s Place but became Bank Street in 1825 when the National Bank, now the Royal Bank of Scotland, took premises in the town. The beautiful red sandstone pillars were erected in 1907 by public subscription to show the town’s pride in the land, which was gifted by the proprietors of […]
This memorial of Sir Walter Scott was commissioned by the Abbotsford Scott Fellowship in 1932 for the 100th anniversary of the writer’s death. The bronze bust commemorates his involvement with Galashiels. Abbotsford House, which was his home from 1812 to 1832, lies just across the River Tweed and is open to visitors. More information about […]
The bust of Robert Burns was created by F.W. Doyle-Jones in 1912 and commemorates Burns’ re-writing of the song ‘Braw Lads o’ Galla Water’. The chorus is as follows: “Braw, braw lads on Yarrow braes, Ye wander through the blooming heather But Yarrow braes nor Ettrick shaws Can match the lads of Gala Water”.
This building was the site of the house of the Gala Estate’s miller. The original Burgh Building is the two-storey block beside the clock tower. The imposing Tower in front of the Burgh Buildings is one of the most outstanding and unique war memorials, designed to look like a Borders Tower House (or Keep), whilst […]
The Bow Butt steps, which may date back to the 15th century, are where the men of Galashiels, aged 16-60, used to practice archery. A decree made by King James IV (1488-1513) required that all men of military age were to practice archery so that they could be called upon in times of conflict. Well […]