The Mercat Cross, which is the Scots name for ‘Market Cross’, was the traditional symbol of a Scottish village or town’s trading status and marked their right to hold a regular market or fair.
A cross has occupied this site in Galashiels since 1599. It originally stood on a circular base with a flight of steps and a projecting balcony. It was, however, removed in 1820 and returned sometime later in its present form. It was restored again in 1887, and a section of the original shaft can be seen in Old Gala House.