In 1851, a group of people started meeting for worship in the lower flat of a house in Wilderhaugh, elsewhere in the town. On St Peter’s Day, 28th June 1853, the foundation stone was laid for the present church of St Peter’s.
The school, which is the building right of the church, was added in 1859 with accommodation for 265 scholars. Over the years the church was extended and halls were constructed to the rear, now housing the Air Cadets Training Centre. In more recent times, the school moved to Parsonage Road, a short distance up the road from the church.
Today, regular Sunday worship continues, preserving the tradition and ritual of the Episcopal style. The church building also provides a home for the Galashiels Foodbank and other community groups.