The Galashiels Manufacturers’ Corporation, established in 1777, decided to construct a “mill lade”, a system diverting water from the Gala Water (pictured) through a channel along which the textile mills would be built. This provided a constant source of energy to drive the water wheels which in turn provided the power to operate the mill machinery.
The Lade runs almost from one end of the town to the other. It can be seen running through the Fountain in Cornmill Square, and at vantage points in Paton Street, adjacent to Gala Water Retail Park. An information board is situated at the Retail Park’s main entrance where a mounted water turbine is on view.